i) CAUSES OF WAR
The Main factors of war include:
- National pride.
- Rivalry over land.
- Need for resources and wealth.
- Long standing hatreds and grievances.
- Selfishness and greed.
- Differing ideologies (e.g. capitalism vs communism).
ii) THE CONCEPT OF HOLY WAR IN AT LEAST ONE MAJOR WORLD RELIGION
A Holy War has religion as its driving force.
There are three elements:
- The achievement of a religious goal.
- Authorized by a religious leader.
- A spiritual reward for those who take part.
It is generally felt that there are five causes of Holy War:
- To spread the faith.
- To restore the faith in countries that once belonged to it.
- To rescue believers from unbelieving countries.
- To recover and purify sacred places that had been captured by non-believers.
- To get revenge against those who had committed blasphemies against the faith or believers.
One of the most famous examples of a Holy War were the Crusades, in which Christian armies went to the Holy Land to recover Christian sacred places from the Muslims. Justified as a war, as it was fought to right the wrongs done against Christianity. The first Crusades captured Jerusalem and slaughtered all non-Christian citizens.